Pages

Thursday, June 13, 2013

Mangoes in June

==========================================


Mangoes in June

In the new week of the new year
in the very early morning of our
very first cold, cold day
I pumped, paid for gas and
chatted with K.C.,
our dark complected
Indian-born convenience store owner-operator.

I think he’s been living in our Milwaukee latitude for all of seven years.

“Well,” he said, “at least we only have two months left of winter.
I must have looked quizzical ... perplexed.

“January and February,” he said, forgetting spring, the equinox,
March 21st April snow ... early May wet dumpers.

I admire his optimism and
I like to add a little spice to the conversation.


“So,” I said, holding my hand at my waist,
“if the crazy weather keeps up we’ll be shoveling up to here in summer.”


“Yes,” he said, wistfully, “sometimes we have mangoes in June.”



===================================

© David L. White

No comments: