Pages

Thursday, April 23, 2015

I came back for you

I came back for you

It’s 42° and nearing dark in a very busy intersection 
while a young woman with stringy hair and baggy clothes 
was in the southbound median holding up a homeless sign 
other impertinent and illegible words also scribbled on. 

I was the second car in the left turn lane and
in the couple moments to imagine logistics
my green arrow signaled. There were cars behind me.

I went on to the mini-mart to buy some lottery tickets 
came out, went around the block, made a U-turn and 
timed the lights and the traffic so that I could give her 
something.

I don't usually do that; less often with men. I flashed 
the lights, waved, she leaped. Something about her. 

She was very polite, smiled, had lip piercings I'm glad I 
didn't know that earlier on. It might have gone another way.

“Thank you very much, sir. God bless you.” 
"Bless you too. I said I came back for you."

There were only moments. The light changed. I went to
the next u-turn and came around again beeping and waving.

~~~~~


April 22, 2015 © David L White

No comments: