Pages

Monday, October 3, 2011

Super Shelby - Action Hero

When we first met in your studio on Monday Night class we were not gathering about your art. Still I was immediately taken with your vision, bold strokes and balance of light.

A couple summers later you started posting works in progress on Facebook from everywhere en plein air. It seemed like you were every jazzy where.

You were approaching rock star status in my mind and I was a teensy bit envious that you were just doing it. Why wasn't I doing it? Not the painting but the being engaged in creation; the juggling of shadow and light.

When we met for the Victorian Art tour you led at the Pfister on the Doors Open Milwaukee weekend you went from Rock Star to Action Hero for me and I saw - you showed me - strokes with the flashlight. You shined the light.

When I asked about the idea, theory, methodology behind 'under painting' specific to your thirty day challenge, and you said something like "Just start. Cover up the canvas." I knew I could begin again. Begin fresh.

Simply take the blank out of the blank page.
Thank you.
The words have been pouring out.

No comments: